Monday, November 14, 2016

The golden fever #1

As far as I can renember, I always been fascinated by the Custodes . First of all, their appearance : massive guys in golden armour with some awesome combi bolter - spears . And, secondly, their role : Emperor's personnal guards . Everything is here to make me dreaming about those fantastic characters of the Warhammer 40k's universe.

Just before the first leaks of the Prospero's Burning  box, I was working on a Deathwatch army . You can imagine my surprise when I saw the Watchmaster mini with a custodian weapon named Guardian Spear . This was my excuse to kitbash a custodian mini to count as Watchmaster ! And here is the result :


Without being exactly on the right design, it's quite close from the fantastic drawings I've found on the Internet .  I've been very inspired by the fantastic work my friend Krauty (Eternal hunt) had already done on this subject .

Various Krautscientist's work on Custodes :




 But something was missing. I wanted mine taller than a regular marine or a terminator. And so, the solution came to me with the use of a Stormcast body. It's the right size, with a nice "artificer armour". I've find some examples still on the Eternal Hunt site :

First one by Ryan Stevenson


And the second by Noctus Cornix :


Those were enought to convince me that I was on the right track.

That's all for today. This first article is just the project's genesis. More to come soon. See you next time !

2 comments:

  1. Cheers for the shout out, mate! I was heavily inspired in turn by Dave Taylor's seminal Custodes army, and I definitely wanted them to be scaled like standard Space Marines, although the true scaling approach definitely does have its appeal :)

    There's a fantastic recent kitbash shared by KBA over at The Bolter & Chainsword that shows how well bitz from the new plastic Custodes and Stormcast Eternals work when combined:

    http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/303389-kbas-heresy-thread-custodesstormcast-mash-11-5-2016/page-11#entry4554762

    This arguably brings them closer to the look of the Custodes in the classic artwork, at least in some respects.

    I also remember some rather spectacular Stormcast Eternal/Custodes hybrids done by kizzdougs and EdT, come to think of it.

    Looking forward to see more of your own Custodes taking shape!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Krauty ! Actually, 20 custodes are on the way, plus the "Emperor" and the vexilla one mixed with a lord relictor....

    ReplyDelete